Статус
    В этой теме нельзя размещать новые ответы.

Sceleratus

Участник Портала
    SWJKA Member
    Реакции
    Баллы
    Кредиты
    GTKRadiant 1.5 Mapping Tutorial for Windows
    Table of Contents:

1.Pre: Why?
    2.Legal
    3.Credits
    4.Setting up

4.1 Setting up after download
    4.2 Setting up for mapping
    4.2.1 Setting up for Multiplayer
    5.Tools
    6.Basics/Controls

6.1 Basics of GTKRadiant 1.5
    6.2 Movement
    7.Building your first room

7.1 Actually making the room
    7.1.1 Making the walls
    7.1.2 Making the floor/ceiling
    7.1.3 Texturing

7.1.3.1 Fitting textures
    7.2 Spawning
    7.3 Compiling

7.3.1 Compiling with Entities
    8.Entities
    8.1 Doors
    8.2 Lights
    8.3 Triggers
    8.4 Platforms/trains

8.4.1 Making an elevator (func_plat)
    8.4.2 Making a train/moving platform (func_train)
    8.5 Liquids
    8.6 Summary
    9.Adding a room
    9.1 Setting up for a hole
    9.1.1 CSG subtract
    9.1.2 Clipping
    10. Glossary
    11. Controls
    12. Trouble shooting

1: Pre: Why?
    Why am I doing this? Easy. I have not seen a mapping tutorial for GTKRadiant 1.5 yet, and I use it. All the tutorials have been for 1.4 or below, and they are just that much different. So I’m making this for YOU!

2: Legal
    Legal Stuff. You DO NOT have my permission to distribute this document without e-mailing me first. You DO NOT have my permission to edit this document without e-mailing me first. Although this file, I assume, has been virus checked by www.jk3files.com, I will not be held responsible for any virus/worm that my damage/destroy your computer/its information. MAKE SURE YOU SAVE YOUR FILES!! I WILL NOT be held responsible for any lost/damaged information. Some of the definitions/techniques are not the same as seen in other tutorials. I will not be held responsible for any information you might find offensive/complicated. I am doing the best I can. There may be differences between the different files of this tutorial “package”. I did the best I could to eliminate this. THIS MODIFICATION IS NOT MADE, DISTRIBUTED, OR SUPPORTED BY ACTIVISION, RAVEN, OR LUCASARTS ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY LLC. ELEMENTS TM & © LUCASARTS ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY LLC AND/OR ITS LICENSORS.

3: Credits
    I DO NOT hold ALL the credit for this tutorial. Here are the people I would like to thank for my knowledge, and people who have “beta tested” this tutorial:
    • www.jk3files.com for hosting this file.
    • Microsoft for letting me use this text editor.
    • Rich Diesal for his extreme mapping tutorial, which can be found at Map-craft.com.
    • Page not found - PC Game Mods for letting them host the only video tutorial for mapping with GTKRadiant. The credit for that tutorial is DaDosDude.
    • Bubba’s mapping tutorial for providing information on using the Radiant family. The website can be found at http://bubba.planetquake.gamespy.com/mapping.html.
    • My friend, Mason, for “beta testing” this tutorial, and providing information on how to build it.
    • People from www.map-center.com, for providing information, and “beta testing” this tutorial.
    • My friends from JSU, for “beta testing” this tutorial.
    • www.qeradiant.com for the download of GTKRadiant 1.5.

4: Setting up
    4.1 Setting up after download
    Well, not that hard. Just select next in the setup wizard. I did not use custom install. You can if you want, but you don’t need to.

4.2 Setting up for mapping

Yes, you need to. When you start up GTKRadiant 1.5, you will see something that is called Global settings. Select Jedi Academy, and click ok. You can enable logging if you want. I have no preference on that. Then, when GTKRadiant actually starts up, you need to select the “proper” view. Go to edit, then preferences (also known as edit>preferences (I will be using this format through out this tutorial)). Select Interface, then layout. Click the “3rd” button to the right. Restart radiant, and you will have this view. This is the view that I find the most useful. I will be speaking about this view through out this tutorial.

4.2.1 Setting up for Multiplayer

Odds are, that you will be mapping for Jedi Academy Multiplayer. In the current setting, you are mapping for Single Player. This format WILL NOT work for Multiplayer. To change it, go to file>project settings. Select Jedi Academy (if you haven’t already), and then select Jedi Academy Multiplayer. If the fs_game is highlighted, select the MOD you are mapping for (probably JA+). If it is grayed out (like it is for me) just leave it alone.

5: Tools
    Here are some useful tools if you are thinking about becoming a serious mapper. They are:
    • GTKRadiant 1.5 (from www.qeradiant.com) (they latest version)
    • Pakscape (if you are thinking about distributing you file. You need this to turn you map into a pk3 file.)
    • Photoshop, Gimp, Paint, etc. (any of these will do. You just need a picture-editing program. This is if you are thinking about making your own textures (which I will define later)
    • Gmax, Milkshape 3D, or any other model making program (this is if you are thinking about making models for your map)
    • A copy of this tutorial What I’m saying is that the only things you will need to map are GTKRadiant, and this tutorial. The rest are “toppings” on the mapping “cake”.

6: Basics
    6.1 Basics of GTKRadiant 1.5
    Well, now that you have set up GTKRadiant, you need to know the basics of it. In the view you have, there are 3 “wire frame” views. I’ll call them the 2D views. They are in the top right, bottom right, and the bottom left. Though out the tutorial, when I refer to the “top right view”, I am talking about the actual view of on the screen. If you are wondering, the top right view is the top view. The bottom two are the side views. Now, the big gray view in the top right is the 3D view. The gray area is called the void. This is where your map will be. You DO NOT want the void to be showing from your map. (Want a full list of commands? See Chapter 11)

6.2 Movement

Moving is important, right? It’s really simple. In the 2D views, to move, hold down the right mouse button, and drag to move. Zooming in, if you have a scroll wheel, is also simple. You just move the wheel. If you don’t, don’t worry. To zoom in, press the delete key. To zoom out, press insert. To move in the 3D view, right click in it, and just move the mouse to rotate the camera. To actually move, press the arrow keys. To stop
    moving in the 3D view, right click again. Notice the difference: In 2D, hold down. In 3D, just click.

7: Building your first room
    7.1 Actually making the room
    7.1.1 Making the walls
    Seven chapters to get to the first room. Wow. Now you actually get to build it. First, press the 4 button. I’ll explain later. Now, in the top right view, click with the left mouse button, and drag 1 small box (ill just call it a box) to the right or left, and then drag downward. You should see something similar to a red dashed line. This means that the brush is selected. A brush is the basic building material for the Radiant family. It is used for building walls, doors, tables, etc. After you have made your “wall”, you can deselect it by pressing the Esc button. To reselect it, hold down shift, and click the brush. You can change the dimensions of the brush by click on a side when it’s selected. You can move it by pressing in the middle of it, and dragging. To change the height, click on top of the brush in the bottom right view, and drag up wards. There you go. You have just made a wall. Now, you need to make three more of them. Just do what you did before. But, make SURE you leave the corners blank, like this: It’s for graphical matters.

7.1.2 Making the floor/ceiling
    EASY! Just go to the bottom right view, and click on top of your walls. Again, leave the corners blank. This is your ceiling. Just do the same thing for the floor. If in the 3D view, you don’t see the floor and ceiling, not a problem. Just go the bottom left view, and find a little square box directly below a wall. Select it, and drag it into place. Done!

7.1.3 Texturing

Texturing is putting a look on your walls/ceiling/sky. To place a texture, go to the textures drop down menu, and click it. All of the textures you can use are in the categories. If you have downloaded maps before, their textures will also appear here. Click one, and let it load. When it is done loading, press T (don’t do shift t, just press t. I capitalize it to make it stand out). There are all your textures in that file. Close it for now. Now, highlight all the walls you want to be textured with that texture. Then, press T again, and select the texture you want to texture the walls with.
    TADA!
    Do the same for the floor
    Now, the ceiling is a little different. If you want just a standard ceiling (no sky), just texture it normally. If you want an actual sky, you need to do this. Go to textures>skies, and click it. Now, get up, get chips, salsa, a soda, and a book. This will take a LONG time. When it is done loading (3-5 minutes later), open the texture window. Don’t select the actual picture. There will be a small box with the word sky in it. You want that one. It just looks better. In GTKRadiant, it will appear as the white box. Don’t worry, its supposed to. And, Done.

7.1.3.1 Fitting textures
    If there is a texture that you want to cover the wall as you see it in the texture window, you need to fit the texture to the brush. To do so, press the S button (it may appear as a 5. S as in snake), then click the fit key.

7.2 Spawning
    Spawning is where your player actually starts. When he dies, then comes back to life, it is called respawning (for those of you who don’t know) When you are in Multiplayer mode, to spawn, right CLICK in the 2D window, and select info>info_player_deathmatch. Then, move it to where you want to spawn. AND there you go. You now you can play in your room...almost.

7.3 Compiling

Once again, annoying. A large map can take a LONG TIME to compile. Compiling (by my definition) is turning your .map into a .bsp so JKA can “read” the map. To compile, go to build, and select the first one. That is if you have just a room with a spawn point.

7.3.1 Compiling with Entities

I’ll explain what entities are later. To compile with entities, click the build type that has (test) in it. Click the last one. Experiment if you want. But this is the way I do it.

8: Entities

An Entity (by my definition) is something that makes the map better. They include (but are not limited to): Lights Doors Triggers Etc. To place an entity, right click, and select one. I will go into each basic entity (lights, doors, etc).

8.1 Doors

Doors are fun. To make a door, make a brush, and keep it selected. Next, right click, and select func>func_door. Now hit N, and hit one of those little circles in the bottom half. If you click up, it will go up. Down, down. I don’t know what Z-axis does yet. If you type in an angle, that is the angle that the door will open at. Then Deselect. I IT! You now have an auto-door. (Want a triggered door? Check out Chapter 8.3)(Want another room to place a door between? Check out Chapter 9).

8.2 Lights

Lights. So bright, dull, red, blue, green. Actually, you have these controls. To place a light, right click, and select light. A box will come up with probably a 0 in it. This is the brightness of the light. 6000 is kind of bright. You will have to experiment with the brightness to suit your needs. If you want to change the color, press K, and change the color on that color wheel. NOTE: Once you place a light, you will have to place a light EVERYWHERE you need lighting. If you don’t place a light, the map will be lit equally through out.

8.3 Triggers

UGG!! I hate this part about mapping. Well, let’s get to it. First, make a PHYSICAL trigger. A Physical trigger is the brush that the player actually sees, and tries to press. The trigger is actually a brush covered in the trigger texture. THIS is the thing that the player actually presses. Lets make a trigger to trigger a light. First, make a light, and hit N. change the Key to target. Change the value to something like light_1. So it will look like Key: target Value: light_1. Hit enter. Now, deselect the light. Make a Physical trigger (if you haven’t already). Texture it. Next, make another brush COMPLETELY covering the Physical trigger. Now, while its highlighted go to textures>system. Select trigger. Next, with that trigger brush selected, right click and make it a trigger>trigger_multiple. Now, hit N. Check the boxes multiple, and use_button. Next, make the Key targetname, and the value whatever you had for the light (in this case, light_1). So it will look like Key: targetname Value: light_1. Now hit enter. Close the window. If all went well you should see a green line connect the two. If so, HORRAY! You can use this procedure for ANY triggered entities (platforms, elevators, doors, etc).

8.4 Platforms/Trains

What’s the difference? Func_plat is used for things like elevators. Func_train is used for things like trains, which follow a series of points, possibly returning to its original place. So, func_plat is elevators, func_train is moving platforms, like trains. Making them is...complicated, but easy once done (if that makes any sense).

8.4.1 Making an elevator (func_plat)

First, make a brush, and texture it. Right click and hit func>func_plat (from now on, I will say “now, turn it into a func_<whatever>”) Now, place it at the highest point that it is going to travel. From there, figure out how many units (not boxes, units) that it needs to travel. Easiest way: have your lowest point at 0, and use the ruler to figure out how low it has to travel (meaning, go up to the elevator). Once that is done, select the func_plat, hit N, and for Key: height. For Value: <whatever that number was>. Hit enter. AND YOU’RE DONE!

8.4.2 Making a train/moving platform (func_train)

I find this one a little more complicated. First, make your train. It doesn’t have to be in the position it will start it. Now, deselect it, and make another brush either in it, or on top of it (REALLY CLOSE TO THE ORIGIONAL BRUSH), and cover it with system>origin texture. Next, link these two together by selecting both of them, and pressing Ctrl+K (yes, you could have done this for triggers. But I like doing it manually because of the precision I can get.) Next, make a path_corner by right clicking, and selecting path_corner. Next, select the origin brush, then the path corner (in that order), and link them together (Ctrl+K). Make more path_corners if you want. REMEMBER: first, select the platform you are going FROM, to the platform you are going TO! To make a loop, just link the last path_corner to the first.

8.5 Liquids

Every good map *cough* Sith council v2 *cough* has liquids. Whether it’s lava, or water, it makes the map good. To make water, make a tub, or something that the water will be in. To actually make the water, make a brush, then cover it with system>caulk_notsolid (it might just be notsolid). Then, texture the FACES with a water texture (which I think can be found in common). And you’re done. Easy. Lava is a bit more difficult, but not much. First, make your brush, texture it with caulk_notsolid, and
    texture the faces with a lava texture. Now, to make the lava burn. Make another brush, about 3 units thick (press 1 do change the grid size). Select it. While its selected, right click, select func>func_hurt. Now, hit N, and make the Key: dmg, and the value however many health points you want this person to lose a second. Use 400 for instant kill. And that’s it!

8.6 Summary
    I know it can get confusing with all the Key: this Value: that. If you want a complete list, put your mouse near the bottom of the blue bar at the top of the window when you press N. Near there you will see your mouse turn into an arrow. If you drag it down, you will see all the commands.

Sceleratus

Участник Портала
    SWJKA Member
    Реакции
    Баллы
    Кредиты
    9: Adding a room
    9.1 Setting up for a hole
    Single room maps don’t exist. Let’s keep it that way. There are two ways to make a hole in your wall for a door to fit. But, first, we need a room to connect to. Make another room, and make sure that at least 1 pair of walls are facing each other. Now, for the different methods:

9.1.1 CSG subtract
    If you want to make 500 doors in a map, and you want them quickly, use this. Basically, to make a hole, you make a brush the size of the door hole, and put it in the spot of your wall where you want your hole. Now, click the CSG subtract button. It will look like 9 small boxes, with the center solid, and the rest dashed lines. It will be near the tool bar. After you click that button, delete the brush by clicking BACKSPACE. And now, you have a hole in your wall. 9.1.2 Clipping This is REALLY HARD to explain on paper. REALLY HARD! But I will do the best I can. Now that you have your second room, select the two walls facing each other. Now, select the clipper. It will look like 2 and a half circles connected by lines. Third to the right on the tool bar. Now, this is the confusing part. I will explain it the best I can. When you have your two walls selected, find the 2D view that makes the selected walls look something like: For simplicities sake, I will make it look like this: Now, after you have found that view, take the clipper, and click points in a straight line, cutting the wall into a 3rd. Like this: Now, deselect the part where you DON’T want your door. For example: Now, do the same for the other part of the wall. End result: Now, clip the height of the wall. Like this:
    (NOTE: these drawings are not similar from one to the next)
    Now, press backspace to delete the walls. MAKE SURE WHEN YOU DESELECT EACH PART, THAT YOU DESELECT BOTH WALLS! And, done (want a door between the rooms? See Chapter 8.1 for auto-doors, and 8.3 for triggered doors)

10: Glossary

Brush: A basic building block for the Radiant family
    Texture: A picture on a brush
    Texturing: Putting a texture on a brush
    Spawn Point: A point where the player spawns
    Spawn/respawn: When a player comes into the room/dies and comes back to life

11: Controls

This is a full list of commands for GTKRadiant. NOTE: These are not in any particular order. MOVEMENT IN 2D VIEW: Hold down right mouse button, and move mouse
    MOVEMENT IN 3D VIEW: Right click, and move mouse. Right click again to stop moving. Use the arrow keys to fly around
    ZOOM IN/OUT: In 2D view: Scroll wheel or Delete/Insert
    TEXTURE WINDOW: Press t
    ENTITY INSPECTOR: Press n
    COLOR INSPECTOR: Press k
    SURFACE INSPECTOR: Press s
    ROTATE TOOL: Press r
    OPEN CONSOLE: Press o
    OPEN PREFERENCES: Press p
    COORDINATES OF VERTICES: Press j
    MANUPLIATE SIDES: Press f
    SELECT ALL BRUSHES: Press I
    ENTITY LIST: Press l
    MAP INFO: Press m
    DELETE: Backspace
    CONFIRM NEW KEY AND VALUE FOR ENTITY: Press Enter
    DESELECT: Esc DRAW NEW BRUSH: Left click and drag
    RESELCT BRUSH: Shift+left click SELECT ENTITY FOR BRUSH: Right click

If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me at jpesh@wi.rr.com. Please title your email with something like “Question about tutorial”

Thank you.

Katios

Статус
    В этой теме нельзя размещать новые ответы.
    Сверху